A registered trademark in India expires after 10 years. But, it can be kept permanent by filing a trademark renewal application online or offline by paying necessary renewal fees every 10 years. This application has to be filed on or before 6 months from the date of expiration of the registration. Trademark Renewal in India can help you keep your trademark perpetual and permanent as there are no restrictions on how many times and for how many years you wish to keep your trademark status active and registered.
Documents required for the Trademark Renewal
- A copy of the trademark registration certificate
- Power of attorney to represent the applicant
- Photo Id and address proof of the applicant
- Copy of application form of Trademark registration
Trademark Renewal Procedure
How to Renew a Trademark?
Trademark renewal is of two types:
- There is alteration and change of sign or logo of the registered trademark
- Application is made without any change in the trademark
Here is simplified process:
- The application for trademark registration renewal in the form of TM-R.
- The application can be filed by the registered owner of the trademark or an agent authorized by him.
- By filing a renewal application for trademark , will renew it for another 10 years.
- Checking the status of the application periodically is very important until it is processed by the registrar.
- The trademark journal is the official gazette of the trademark registry which governs the status of accepted or rejected. If the application is accepted then it is advertised in the trademark journal. And the renewal process should begin 3 to 6 months before the expiry of the trademark.
- To file the application Form 18 with the requisite fees. The application is reviewed for the quality before it is finally approved for renewal.